On Fri, Jul 30, 2010 at 12:21 PM, Todd Rinaldo <to...@cpanel.net> wrote:
> I hope that this email does not come off as insulting in any way.

I didn't take it that way.  It's really helpful to have feedback from
someone new because we don't always understand what isn't obvious.
Leaving aside the issue of Perl 5.6 itself (which may have issues I'm
not aware of), let me try to address some of the points you raise.  In
no particular order:

> I'm left with the following questions now that's all over and done with.
> 1. Are my reports going somewhere of value? They're not in the tail log.

The tail log is on a 5 minute cron job.  I see plenty from you now. E.g.

[2010-07-30T16:38:28Z] [Todd Rinaldo] [pass]
[MSCHWERN/Gravatar-URL-1.02.tar.gz] [darwin-thread-multi-2level]
[perl-v5.10.1]

> 2. This told me how to setup reporting. It didn't tell me how to setup an
> automated smoker to test all new modules that come down the rss pipe. How do
> I do that?
> 2a. Stumbling around I found this page http://devel.cpantesters.org/#smoker.
> 2b. Many links are broken there. Some declare themselves deprecated when you
> search harder. poe-component-cpan-reporter for instance.

Well, it's a wiki.  Like most wikis, it's gets out of date and has to
be maintained.  Now we know where to go

> 1. Went to http:://wki.cpantesters.org
> 2. Re-directed to http://wiki.cpantesters.org/wiki/GettingStarted
> 2a. No help on getting started here. I'm left to guess which of the 2 links
> below takes me to something useful

They were written by two different people at two different times.  I
added the Beta instructions because I could cut at paste it from
emails I sent.  I was hoping that the other would get improved based
on what I had posted and people's experience.

> 3a. The page starts out talking about needing to choose between CPAN or
> CPANPLUS. It offers no optinion

That is a philosophical debate beyond the scope of CPAN Testers.
Generally the answer is "whichever you would normally use".

> 3b. Now it talks about upgrading and hints at some modules I need to install
> 3c. The page mentions some modules I should install (Couldn't this be a
> bundle?)

That's on my todo list.  The instructions were for beta testers, so
they already had the basics installed.  Generally, at this point,
CPAN::Reporter and Test::Reporter::Transport::Metabase are all that
are needed.  (And the former only for CPAN.  CPANPLUS doesn't need
it).

> 4. http://wiki.cpantesters.org/wiki/CT2BetaTestInstructions
> 4a. The page starts out telling me how to generate my metabase profile? ahah!
> that's what was missing on the other page for new users!
> 4b. I set my mirrors (Would be helpful to know the commands explicitly...

Good point.  I assume that most CPAN Testers already know how to set
mirrors in CPAN/CPANPLUS, but a real "intro guide" should be more
specific.

> 4c. Now 3 items flip flop between what I need to install if I'm CPAN or
> CPANPLUS
> 4d. on item 4, it talks about how to setup cpanplus but is indecisive as to
> if the procedure is correct or works.

At the time the beta instructions were written, I wasn't sure.

> 4e. ok great it says I'm done and I can test.
> 4f. On my OSX 10.6, running via cpanp it falls over running as root. See
> below. Is there a bad link in the suggested config?

I'm not sure why that's the case.  And your subsequent reports seem to
have gone through.  Did you do something different?  Can you repeat
the failure?

-- David