hi all. Ive been fascinated with the problem of
signal to noise for as long as Ive been dinking
around in internet-cyberspace (now over a decade).

oldtimers may recall that Ive had many various proposals
over the past on the list.

it does seem that cypherpunks has succumbed to
significant entropy lately, surely partly related
to the "official" anarchist policies...

in the spirit of the great cpunk accomplishments such
as remailers, encryption code etc, I would like to
talk to any gifted programmers that would like to
work on a very innovative prototype mailing list system that might
solve the signal-to-noise problem. this would be an
outstanding grad student project if you ask me.
experiments in collaborative filtering.

the basic idea is related to something I call
a "self regulating network". its never really been
shown but the internet comes close. basically everyone
on the network has some say (vote) as to how it is governed.
this has some related ideas.

http://www8.pair.com/mnajtiv/spam.html

I have some ideas that wouldnt be too complicated to
code, basically tweaks to a majordomo system to
allow some extra out-of-bandwidth info that gets
passed around, something like a reputation system.
yes, I could code it myself, but I have other
projects, I want to contribute design time.

Id like to run it "extreme programming style", getting
something up as fast as possible & making tweaks
& modifications while it runs.

if it "clicks" I think it could have major implications.
for example there are now tens of thousands of yahoo
groups, its a multimillion dollar company. now imagine
approaching yahoo & selling them proven, tested technology
for egalitarian managing of mailing lists to maximize
signal to noise that doesnt require a moderator to babysit
the mailing list.

on the other hand maybe there are no longer any
serious coders on this list.... a pity/shame if
that were the case. (this is not to imply that
coders would immediately agree to work on this haha)

anyway just out of curiousity I'll post this.
plz email me if you're interested.