Dear Franco,

> Il giorno 10 gen 2018, alle ore 21:52, Franco Niccolucci
> <franco.niccolu...@gmail.com> ha scritto:
>
> Quoting Martin below
>
> [By Digital Collections] ... we do not mean the servers as a whole, but only
> the material signal encoding on the media.
>
> This statement is an oxymoron. Whatever material thing cannot be digital, not
> even “signals”: according to my Oxford Dictionary, digital means "expressed
> as a series of the digits 0 and 1". In a collection, whatever it is, you just
> get more 0’s and 1’s but no material thing.

For completeness it should also be noted that the Oxford Dictionary goes on to
explain that the 0 and 1 digits are: “typically represented by values of a
physical quantity such as voltage or magnetic polarization”, which seems, in
some way, to refer to some kind of “physicality” still present “in the
background” :-)

A.