Dear Robert,

An interesting investigation would be to try and reuse existing terms from well-known ontologies, rather than creating yet another one.

To Martin’s point about just renaming all the things … that sounds easy in theory, but in the distributed real world of implementations and datasets, in practice it means that everyone needs to support all of the different permutations as there’s always some product or some piece of data that hasn’t updated to the most recent version.

It is not about renaming all things, it is about not excluding renaming while preserving the identification code. An unchanged standard is an illusion, a fiction not worthwhile sticking to. I use to present it this way:

Making Standards

The good with standards is there are so many!

When you have a standard,

You need to transform to the standard

You need to renew and adapt the standard

You need to transform to the renewed standards

Why not just transform data?

There are too many transformations, you need a standard

One small benefit would be that new serializations like JSON-LD would have more liberty to assert their own mappings over top of the alphanumeric designations, rather than feeling beholden to the labels.  Of course for every other serialization it’s going to be completely unintelligible and thereby unusable.

The challenge is a) to understand that mapping, not the standard is the ultimate solution
 b) how to standardize the mapping
c) to minimize the needs to map

Best,

Martin