Dear Daria,

This is a much debated question. I follow the theory of David Wiggins (/Sameness and Substance Renewed/ (Cambridge, 2001)), which appears to me to be consistent. There is no natural identity to something material. We need to specify under which category we consider some matter. The category must provide identity criteria beforehand. The same matter may participate in different "things" of different identity. The identity conditions of a category must serve a purpose.
The purpose is identified by a question.

So, question: "Is this an original Varsari? " could be defined in terms of the actual matter Varsari had in his hands and the way he gave it artistic shape, regardless later modifications. We could define the end of existence when major parts of the paint layer are lost, or when the last major part is lost, or latest, when the whole paint layer is lost.

This category of "original painting" would "answer": "still the same".
Another definition may be based on phases and degrees of replaced matter. But they easily run into problems with environmentally caused degradation and natural decay of material, which is a continuous process. So, change of a physical object is inevitable and continuous. It is much more prominent in living beings.

I would associate conservation states rather with secondary features of objects and not with their overall identity.
Again we need a definition of relevant traits separating one from the other.

I agree that physical objects can change form. This is why we talk about "relative stability". The specific type should determine which deviation of form is "unnatural","renders the object unusable", "destroyed" or whatever may determine its practical end of existence and transition into something else or disappearance.

Best,

Martin