From: Crm-sig <crm-sig-boun...@ics.forth.gr> on behalf of Franco Niccolucci
<franco.niccolu...@gmail.com>
Sent: 21 May 2018 19:39
To: Martin Doerr
Cc: crm-sig
Subject: Re: [Crm-sig] Scope note of event

see below
F.

Prof. Franco Niccolucci
Director, VAST-LAB
PIN - U. of Florence
Scientific Coordinator
ARIADNE - PARTHENOS

Piazza Ciardi 25
59100 Prato, Italy

> Attempt of a new one:
>

> Scope note:         This class comprises in-principle observable,

I think that the CRM concerns ONLY observables; if so, the specification is
superfluous.

> distinct and delimited processes of material nature, in cultural, social or
> physical systems, even in a human brain,

Definitely FORTH must have developed a telepathy machine :).

What happens in the human brain is observable only (indirectly) with
electro-encephalogram and the like, so: if this is the intended meaning, it is
just a physical process as any other, e.g. those involving human like blood
pressure vslue, hearth beat, etc. and not worth special mentioning. If instead
this statement refers to (suggests?) observation of thinking, this is (luckily)
not observable.

>  involving and affecting in a characteristic way instances of E77 Persistent
> Item, brought about by some coherent physical, social or technological
> phenomena. An instance of E5 Event may or may not

Only what *may* be affected, or *may not* be affected, somehow supports an
identity criterium. What may or may not be affected looks as irrelevant,
because we cannot understand from the consequences (or lack thereof) that some
event took place, leading to an observed change (or lack of change), because
the event may or may not have led to such change.

> lead
> to relevant permanent changes of properties and relations of items involved
> in it.

> Properties and kinds of things that may be affected are characteristic for
> the type of an event.

This is somehow contradictory with the previous statement: it states that there
are things that may be affected, and other things that may not; perhaps also a
third grouping that “may or may not". In all, it is a bit messy.

Franco