Dear Robert,

On 2/23/2019 1:54 AM, Robert Sanderson wrote:

Dear all,

To make certain that I understand the distinctions being drawn by applying Phase and State to the use cases I sent during the SIG meeting in November, they fall into the categories in my email of social state and physical phase (a good mnemonic for which is which!):

* Ownership – initiated and terminated by an Acquisition, expresses the temporal validity of has_current_owner

(and similarly custody of the object)

This is a binary temporal relationship between an actor (the owner) and a thing (the object), and thus a Social State.

Yes!

* Identification / Naming --  temporal validity of a P1_is_identified_by between something and an Identifier

This is a ternary temporal relationship between an actor (the namer), a thing (the named object), and an appellation (the name).

Similarly valuation, but to a Monetary Amount instead of an Appellation.  This is very similar to AttributeAssignment, but with temporal qualities.

We use an "Name Use Activity" in the FRBR model. To be discussed how a formal assignment of a name relates to actually using it.

* Usage -- a thing was used in a particular way (e.g. a building was a church, then a restaurant)

That's activity based. To be discussed. This pertains to subtle distinctions between intentions and factual reality, and to which degree there is a unity in activities making use of something. It also touches questions of modelling collective behaviour.

An actor (the Group that uses it), a thing (the building), and a Type (the sort of usage)

*  Profession, Gender, Nationality (and other classifications) of a Person

These don’t fall into the current definition as there’s no Thing involved other than the Person?  Or is the person the “thing”, and the society is the Actor?

Profession and nationality as a formal, contractual thing would be a social binding.

Then my two physical cases, which are Phases:

* Change of dimensions – The Night Watch was cut down in 1715. This is observable and thus continues to be valid with the addition to the scope note.

Yes.

* Existence – Picasso’s Le Peintre exists from its production in 1963 until 1998, when its Destruction was caused by the crash of Swissair Flight 111. In between there is a Phase when the painting observably existed..

Well, to be discussed. The overall existence of something to regard as a phase is like regarding my computer as a part of itself. For me, a thing simply is, and begin and end of existence are parameters. If we model it as an E92, it has a simple temporal projection.

I'd argue that "existence" as a distinct ontological entity is not useful, but I may be wrong;-)

Best,

Martin

Right?

Rob