Dear Francesco,

On 2/19/2019 10:18 AM, Francesco Beretta wrote:

Hi,

I agree with Martin's definition of phase and point of view of not "connecting a discussion about "phases of ideas" with "phases of Physical Things".

I earlier thought myself that ideas, in some ways, could have 'phases' but it seems more suitable, in the way of modeling adopted by the CRM, to say that ideas (in the sense of propositional objects or of concepts/types — and what about symbolic objects ?) exist as such, are identifiable as such, and do not change in their identity over time. It seems to be our mind, our belief (CRMinf I2 Belief), our mental state (Issue 359: mental state), that can evolve, i.e. the substratum carries new ideas, our classification of concepts can change, our belief, etc. but this would be about changing of mental state not about changing of the ideas themselves, as such. Would this be the point ?

Yes, this is one possible and valid interpretation. In this case, it is not the idea that evolves, but the people develop derivatives and adopt them. My question was also about the identity conditions of those collectively supporting such evolving ideas. May be they are as difficult to confine as the ramifications of derivatives of ideas. We would need examples in which people systematically document phases of ideas, in order to understand what is a reasonable scope and good practice in respective scholarly domains. I suspect however, that the number of ideas in this way analyzed may be so small that it is marginal for us for the time being.

Would then, it this is correct, Mental state (not existing yet as class – Issue 359) and Belief I2 be subclasses of Exxx Phase ?

Yes, let us explore that. I'd like first to come up with independent definitions, and then see how they fit.

Another issue would be to ask if a E74 Group can have phases. Althogh the identity of the group remains the same, it can have different 'behaviours', strategies, situations, etc. This is of course related to social life, to an ongoing, virtual CRMsoc extension. But insofar as 'Phase' is modelled as high abstraction level class in CRMbase itself, wouldn't be appropriate to consider also phases in the life of groups ?

Yes, indeed. Examples will be the starting point.

If yes, then we would need one property pointing from the temporal entity 'Phase' to the object concerned by the specific appearence or characteristic identifying the phase. But E74 Group and E18 Physical Things do not belong to the same class, right? By the way I was wondering why E74 Group is not subclass of Legal Object – E72. But if it was, this wouldn't arrange things, I assume, because, ont the one side, having phases in not the intension of the Legal Object class and, on the other side, there's the E90 Symbolic Object subclass there which wouldn't seem to have 'phases'. Or does it have indeed ?

If there is something common the Actors and Physical Things, that is interesting. Let us model bottom-up, and first understand what "phase" would mean for Groups, and what for Physical Objects separately.

The question is also, if the Mental State (or I prefer "Mental Attitude") is actually what makes a Group to have "phases", and that poses the critical question of collective mental states, which may even be regarded as a bad idea in a basically materialistic model as ours.

All the best,

Martin

All the best

Francesco