Dear All,

Tentatively here an extension of my previous scope note. If it becomes more controversial, we may drop it:

     Exxx Phase

Subclass of: E2 Temporal Entity

Superclass of:E3 Condition State

Scope note:       This class comprises phases during the existence and evolution of an instance of E18 Physical Thing characterized by a substantial appearance, constitution or a behavior distinct from that in other times of its existence, or distinct in the evolution of things of comparable kind, such as the  nestling, fledgling, juvenile and adult forms of birds, but some kinds of phases may also be consequence of incidental changes such as accidents.

*Begin and ending of an instance of ExxxPhase is regarded to be observable, regardless how fuzzy they are, by the contrast of the prevailing conditions that characterize the phase to the times before and after. It is the kind of phase that determines which kinds of conditions identify it. Different kinds of phases may overlap on the same instance of E18 Physical Thing. Non-substantial properties, such as being owner of something, do not justify a phase*.

Best,

Martin

*
*