Dear Thanasis

Le 18.02.19 à 22:38, Athanasios Velios a écrit :
I like this scope note but my only concern is that an observer cannot
tell when one phase ends and the next one begins. How can we explain
that a phase is no longer?

The whole discussion concerning 'phases' (to avoid the unclear term of states), which reappearred in the last years because of the insistent questions of the (art) historians, is about distinguishing —if I got it right— between the phenomenal and the epistemological perspective. Martin's proposal about modelling phases of appearances, behaviors, etc. makes the point of identifying a phenomenal temporal entity with a specific identity as 'phase', observable in the evolution of an instance of E18 Physical Thing.

Your very relevant question challenges this attempt by implicitly suggesting that the absence of clear 'borders' (temporal limits with clear, substantial appearance) of the phase do not allow to truly distinguish one phase from the next one. One could say that a phase is just about our observation, therefore purely epistemological (in the sense of  State – S16).

The case is clear if an event brings a substantial change in the 'phase' like going to the hairdresser and changing the color of my hair. The substance of phases, in the perspective of historians, is that appearances, behaviours, social qualities, etc. (which we will certainly will have to define more precisely, providing examples) change over time and are significantly (i.e. substantially) different. But this can also happen if phases change through a long lasting process with no clear temporal borders. They are objectively recognizable as such.

The issue would then seems to be: phenomenal and not epistemological if clear temporal limits ? But, to turn the issue around, also events have phenomenal substance even if, sometimes, they do not have clear, or knowable temporal limits, and we have conceptual tools to cope with this in the CRM. Wouldn't they be suitable to be applied to 'phases' ?

Indeed, if we agree about the existence of something substantial in phases (probably a substance different for different subclasses of Persistent items).

Both questions remain open in my perspective. But very relevant, at least for the historians.

All the best

Francesco

All the best,

Thanasis