Ok.

  If that is what is being asked, no issues what so ever.  You may not even
need
a new type if the object in itself doesn't have any properties other than it
being clothing (no ac, no protections/resistances/whatever).

  I wonder if this could in fact be done with a new subtype - something like
light armor.

  I think in that case, all that would be needed is some minor change to the
IS_ARMOR() macro to check against the subtype, and that is it.

  That is probably easier to do than making a new type.  In fact, the different
types of armor right now (cloak, bracers, shield, etc) really isn't correct
given the type/subtype setup now days - they should really all be the same
type,
with different subtypes (or perhaps not even a need for that since we don't
really care what the type is that much)