On 12/24/2013 4:44 PM, Greg wrote:
I've used both phpBB and simplemachines, and far prefer the latter for its
simpler configuration, administration, and what seem like superior
spam-fighting capabilities.

The advantages are almost too numerous to list, and if people like getting the
message via email then the software can be configured to include it in the
notification emails that are sent out.

Forums are simply superior to mailing lists in almost all respects (perhaps
all).

- Easier and faster to administer and moderate
- We don't have to wait for emails to be approved and show up
- You can actually *edit* your posts to correct typos and mistakes (amazing!)
- Conversations are organized better
- Nobody complaining about "top posting", trimming "cruft" and other such
nonsense
- An easy to search and read public log of all conversations
- Emoticons
- Stars
- Badges
- Bells
- I hear they have whistles too

Pretty please?

Thoughts?

--
Please do not email me anything that you are not comfortable also sharing with
the NSA.

I do like forums for many of the same reasons. However, email is something that would be checked more often. This is why I must personally vote no. That's just me; don't all jump down my throat.

--
Kevin