On 24 Dec 2013 at 20:06, Raymond Burkholder wrote:

> > Subject: [cryptography] Can we move to a forum, please?
> > Thoughts?
>
> If this moved to a forum, I'd probably not read it.  I receive messages
> from
> many different services, and if I had to remember to go online to read
> messages, it wouldn't happen.

I agree -- I don't have the time or care to go visit dozens of websites
each day, just to check if there's any activity in THIS forum or THAT
one.  I find it very convenient having it all come to me.

> With the current system, messages appear in my inbox with messages
> from
> other list exchanges.  It provides a simple central mechanism for
> reading
> and responding to the various messages I receive.

Also, for me, I'm on many mailing lists that are *related* and I sort
those into _single_ folders.   So all of my 'security' stuff goes into
one place, all of the 'craft/hobby' lists are collected in a separate
place, etc.  The fact that there are six hobby lists is irrelevant: they
all end up just in my 'hobby' folder -- I don't have to visit six sites.

In fact, this is a case in point: there are two cryptography lists that
are similar but different.  I filter them both into the same folder [and
my only quandry is if I want to post I need to pick "to which", but I
never have to do anything to follow both effortlessly].

> On the other hand, if the forum emailed messages with a 'reply link'
> as
> messages are posted, that would be an acceptable alternative.

Not quite: Most forums postings don't any context -- they just expect
that their post will "follow next" in the forum [even when that's not
true!] and so they just type away.  So if you get just an email message,
it'll be VERY cryptic trying to piece together what's going on,
especially if a single topic has two discussion threads interweaving
within in.

I haven't seen a forum that lets you "save" messages -- if the new PHPbb
does that'd be great.   PHPbb has never been very good at keeping track
of what you've seen and what you haven't: if you visit the forum and only
read some of the new posts, you generally won't get a second [easy]
chance to find it [there's no mechanism I've seen for the equivalent of
leaving something unread in your list-folder to be dealt with later].  Do
forums let you 'print' messages?  Can you 'forward' messages?   Can you
'save/archive' threads that are particularly interesting?

I happen to not much like the format of most online forums.... other folk
love them.  I'm not impressed with 'BBcodes' and the few-score emoticons
it allows.   I know some peolple really like that, but not me.

My vote is to stay as an email list.

   /Bernie\

mailto:ber...@fantasyfarm.com     Pearisburg, VA