Well it's mostly luck if you get enough views, subs and ratings on the workshop to reach into the top few pages of most popular maps, ever. There is that first week, which currently decides if your map goes there or not. Key is to have enough ready and promoted map to get to the place where your map is shown in the "most popular this week list", in the first spot right after it's first release, so it shows in steam client where players start their game which use the detail view of the game.

If you don't go there, the chances are that nobody really sees your map after the first week has passed. After that, your map needs to have twice more votes each day than recently submitted, so you would stick on a top of the most popular this week list. This sadly is the criteria where valve will pick the maps. I seriously doubt they will pick a map submitted 6 months ago with 3000 vies when the most popular operation ones were at 15000-30000 when they got picked up.

I'll give an example, with diagrams. Everyone loves those, especially with powerpoint slides.

My first submission, 91 days in workshop, reached the most popular this week list #1 place in the first week. http://server2.pelipurkki.fi/~dustin/csgo/map_1.jpg (now 16133 views 7013 subscribers, 567 positive ratings)

My second submission, 19 days un workshop, did not reach most popular this week #1 place, though was on #2 and not displayed in steam client. http://server2.pelipurkki.fi/~dustin/csgo/map_2.jpg (now 1768 views 1919 subscribers and 125 positive ratings)

So if you sum that up, the first map has been on very low attention since and to my surprise, servers have adopted the second map and run it, and people subscribe by downloading it that way. However they never see the map on workshop, unless they press esc ingame and rate it, which rarely happens. Cold fact is, no one pretty much never see these maps, unless they dig in quite deep in the workshop. Same applies to very large chunk of the submitted maps.

To fix this, I have suggested mapping contest, weekly map introduction to cs blog and how to make workshop better but i haven't heard anything back. Some of my thoughts were actually viable, such as writing reviews on maps that would show on the "stream" to all to your friends (clicking your name on steam client). Random map/item choice browsing for workshop, that would give a random map from set criteria (de_, cs_ or last month, lifetime, wild choice, etc).

-ics

Nick Haruk kirjoitti:
> If you do the math, this kind of behaviour doesn't encourage people to do levels, except the few people that have their work in already.

The first time I saw the little announcement to vote on maps for the next operation, and it was full of previous operation maps, I thought "huh, there must not have been enough good maps lately." I don't know how common that thought was in others. I didn't check the workshop afterward to see if that was the case. Heck, it may go so far as to discourage players from voting on new content, by implicitly suggesting there isn't anything worthy.

Vulgarman, armchair psychologist