<<BTW: I couldn't quite make out this value in your styles:
width: 101.5px;
Care to explain?>>

Well, my popups are gone again in IE so you can't see, but that's the value
I arrived at for IE/WIN so that it was the right width and its right edge
lined up with the rollover highlight....

Don't think the clients will be happy (they're architects and very finicky
about things lining up) if I make the width fluid for the popups, unless
there's a way for it to be the width it needs to be but expand if they've
enlarged the text...

Specs for this are IE 5+ and NN6+ so luckily I don't have to worry about NN4

<<Good CSS support is just beginning to spread across browser-land.>> Yep,
so am wondering if I should just wait until everyone (browsers) learns to
play better :-)

One thing that doesn't make sense to me with the NN7 problem is that
absolute divs are supposed to be absolute in relation to its parent, if the
parent has a position other than static, right? So is it a bug in NN7 that
it's ignoring that?

Here's the relevant code:

        #menulist {
                height: 63px;
                margin: 0px;
                padding: 0px;
                border-top: 1px solid #A30404;
                border-bottom: 1px solid #A30404;
                float: left;
                position:relative;
                top: 457px;
                width: 908px;
        }
        #menulist .mainnav {
                height: 63px;
                visibility: visible;
                position: absolute;
                float: left;
                display: inline;
                width: 125px;
                z-index:1;
                padding: 0px;
                margin:0px;
                filter:alpha(opacity=80);
                -moz-opacity:.80;
                opacity:.80;
                background-repeat:no-repeat;

        }

For which .mainnav is dynamically assigned a left attribute ranging from 0
to whatever depending on which menu item it is.... So the parent is
"positioned" but .mainnav is ignoring that and making left:0 start from the
browser edge instead of menulist container's edge in NN7 only (okay in IE
and Firefox).
ANGELA TRIGG * TRIGGERID
www.triggerID.com