-----Original Message-----
From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
[mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] Behalf Of Chris Morse
Sent: 07 November 2005 13:09
To: css-d@lists.css-discuss.org
Subject: Re: [css-d] ASP.NET/CSS

Brian,

I am not sure what you mean by 'site level CSS support' but I develop sites
with Visual Studio all the time and use CSS rather extensively.  Visual
Studio is simply a tool to create ASP.NET pages which are a combination of
server controls and HTML tags.

- You can include <link> tags in the page headers which is the same thing
you would do to include CSS files in a static site.

- You can specify CSS classes for server controls by using the CssClass
property.

- ASP.NET Panel controls generate HTML DIVs and Label controls generate HTML
SPANs so that is no different from static HTML.

- You can use HTML tags inline with server controls when you have no need to
reference or manipulate the particular object.

The only issue I have had with ASP.NET is that server control IDs are
changed by the ASP.NET runtime based on their context (inside a DataGrid
control for example) to maintain uniqueness so you can't always rely on the
ID you specify being the ID in the generated code.  That being said, the IDs
for HTML tags, which would most likely be the IDs you would use in your CSS
for the overall structure of your site, are not modified by ASP.NET

Also, Visual Studio can mangle your HTML a bit but that has been fixed in
Visual Studio 2005 so that is no longer an issue.  It wasn't so much a CSS
issue anyway but rather DOCTYPE issue as VS could mess up your XHTML.

In VS 2005 you have Master Pages which make using CSS even easier and by
default new pages are created as XHTML Transitional.  I believe you
configure VS 2005 to default to any DOCTYPE you desire however.

HTH,
Chris