Brian.

A DIV is considered a block element and so typically its content
flows to fill the size of the DIVs specified width rather than the
other way around.  A DIV will expand its height to fit the text
inserted.

What you could do is set the widths of the DIVS to percentages this
would allow them expand and fill the browser window.

Another thing you can experiment with although I have not done it
personally is use "em"' for widths as they are proportional to the
screen size and content as well.

Hope this gives you some places to start.  For further assistance
perhaps you can post a sample pages and css so we can see what you
are trying to do.
--
Daniel