@font-face isn't what you're looking for ?
<http://www.w3.org/TR/REC-CSS2/fonts.html#font-descriptions>
<http://www.w3.org/TR/REC-CSS2/fonts.html#referencing>

> Is it possible that we can have the browsers load the fonts into
> memory while viewing the page?  Because you can't have the user just
> download them because there are licenses on fonts.  Flash gets around
> it by "encoding" the fonts.  I know people will hack and get around
> any method you use but is it possible to have a method that is just
> hard enough that most people don't care to try.

This is only, somehow, implemented by IE windows.
It has been dropped out of CSS 2.1, due a lack of interoperability,
and the zillions of problems associated with downloadable fonts
(copyright issues, security, file size,... and what more).

The CSS WG has opened a discussion on this very topic
<http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/www-style/2006Apr/0070.html>
'Downloadable fonts and image replacement'
<http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/www-style/2006Apr/thread.html>

Philippe
---
Philippe Wittenbergh