On Fri, 30 Mar 2007, Chris Ovenden wrote:

> Interesting issue, and one I haven't given much thought to before. For
> what it's worth I only use the colour keywords 'black' and 'white' (no
> argument about what these mean!)

I do pretty much the same, though in tests and examples, 'red', 'yellow'
and other names are convenient. They are a bit problematic in examples, of
course.

The names 'black' and 'white' are easy to remember, but actually '#000'
and '#fff' are faster to type. Less self-explanatory, of course, but CSS
isn't really meant to be read by people who don't know the idea of color
codes.

> But what about the three-digit hex contractions - ie #363 instead of
> #336633? I love other CSS shortcuts, but for some reason this one
> really irks me

There is no difference (at least significant difference) in browser
support, and the effect is of course exactly the same. There's the
_psychological_ factor (as with the color names) that if you use the
shortcuts (or names), you might be tempted to use only colors expressible
with them. But this is neither a drawback nor a significant benefit with
the shortcuts (though it might matter with the color names). If you use
the shortcuts _only_, you are limiting yourself to 256 colors, which often
isn't very restrictive but doesn't mean actual benefits either. The few
devices that work with 256 colors (very old, misconfigured, or new special
devices) will map other colors them, of course, instead of not
"understanding" the long notation.