On Jan 27, 2008, at 6:34 PM, DAVOUD TOHIDY wrote:

> So I believe when they wrote the standards, they already knew what
> the differences are between different URIs in different doctypes.
>
> I am hoping that w3c might have documented those differences somewhere
> and that is what I am looking for.

'The standards' (and the doctypes) were not written with differences
in 'rendering' in mind.
Doctypes only describe the elements that are allowed in html
document. They don't prescribe any particular behaviour.

e.g. the transitional doctype allows for the target attribute, which
doesn't exist in a strict DTD.

Browsers, on the other hand, have, for web-compatibility reasons,
assigned a particular behaviour for some elements -for a very limited
number of elements-. The case of the alignment of images in table-
cells is the most (and only ?) significant example.

Read:
<http://hsivonen.iki.fi/almost-precedent/>
and the companion piece
<http://meyerweb.com/eric/thoughts/2008/01/24/almost-target/>