@George:

I understand your points very well.

> Again: doctypes and doctype-switching should *not* have anything to do
> with how CSS should be interpreted, but the fact that it does affect CSS
> is the only reason I'm responding on-list.

That is exactly what I am reffering to George. Doctype affects CSS.
And using CSS you change the presentation of a web page.

So Doctype affects the whole layout indirectly if not directly.

The role of Doctype is same as the role of an operating system in a PC
for example, with a difference that Doctype is decendent of WWW and
in the chart and stands one level below its parent and this is why some
web sites without Doctype can still breath.

ignoring the role of doctype in WWW, is the same as ignoring the role
of an operating system. Stating that it is CSS and html doing the job is
the same as stating that for instance it is microsoft word that is providing
the environment for typing etc. not the operating system.

I am trying to be as clear as I can and I hope I am explaining things as
good as it should be explained.

Now from here I would like to point out an important issue. There has
been some people on the internet claiming that Doctype is only for
"VALIDATION" purposes. I believe they are just joking and that
they do not see the big picture.

@Zach,

Well in regards to off topic, well I am not sure Zach. You might want
to search for doctype within the list please and see how many threads
are there in the list.

In the mean time if ADMIN advice me of this, I will defintely close the thread.

Zach, i guess I am being misunderstood here.  A DTD might not directly specify
CSS rules but it is in relation to CSS. Please see my points above.

A Doctype might not say anything about rendering but it is related to rendering.

Thank you for your off list offer. I will definitely take that into account.

@Phil:

Thank you for the explanation.

Sorry i did just used George's email as the base to reply to all. I did not
want to
send multiple emails.

regards,
davoud
P.S.: To contribute to my research please visit:
http://cssfreelancer.awardspace.com/stability.html