> on Date: Sun, 27 Jan 2008 20:29:14 Georg wrote:

> Because someone decided that it would break (a small part of) the web.
> So, they introduced the "almost standard" mode and used "Transitional"
> doctypes as switch.
>
> See: http://meyerweb.com/eric/thoughts/2008/01/24/almost-target/
> ...for details.

Thanks a lot for joining to the discussion George.  So based on what
Eric states on that page, a strict doctype requires that the correct
CSS specifications to be applied to an element such as the img in question.

However almost standard mode does not necessarily
requires it in SOME cases like above.

Am I correct?

If yes, then that is what I mean. It is the strict doctype which triggers
the browsers to behave correctly or in another words render correctly
based on the correct CSS specifications.

Is that correct?

if yes then strict or loose dtd set rules _indirectly_ so that browsers
can have standard or almost standard behaviour.

It is not because browsers like Mozilla started to support CSS
specifications and that is why strict dtd triggers the standard mode
and behaviour.

if the strict dtd wouldn't exist then even browsers such as Mozilla
which started to support the CSS specifications would not have been
able to trigger the standard mode.

That is what I mean. Therefore there might be some other instances
like the img in question which I am interested to know what they are
and that is the reason for oppening this thread.

best
davoud