Hi Michael,

Your problem is typographic. The font used for text area is smaller than
the font used for inputs (default fonts are sans-serif for input &
select, and fixed for text area - on Linux those fonts are configured
system wide, they can be anything you choose). It is strongly dependent
on the default fonts used by FF (and the fonts installed on the
machine).
In order to fix your problem, just add font-family: Tahoma, Arial,
sans-serif (for example) in the input, select, textarea definition. Even
if your Linux does not have the Tahoma or Arial fonts installed, you
will still make the sans-serif default font go in all types of inputs.

And no, the font-size properly affects ALL (input, select and text area)
in FF on Linux.

Best regards,
Mihai Manuta