On 2008/02/10 11:35 (GMT+1300) Michael Adams apparently typed:

> In addition Microsoft released the Core font set to the public and
> though discontinued by Microsoft free distribution was allowed under
> the original licence. These font are still being distributed third party
> and have been installed on the Linux computers of those that know what
> they are doing.
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Core_fonts_for_the_Web

No distro I'm aware of installs them by default. There is no M$ software
available for Linux that will automatically install them as on a Mac. As a
result, you can't expect them to be installed on Linux.

What you can expect in recent distros is fontconfig mapping of Times New
Roman to Liberation Serif and Arial to Liberation Sans. Also, the superior to
Courier New M$ font Lucida Console is virtually indistinguishable from
Liberation Mono.

> The Result *Helvetica is fine to use as a font for Linux Systems*.

> Apologies to the list for the way this has got OT, but i felt this
> needed addressing in the forum it was raised to prevent others taking
> Felix's information at face value.

No need to take my word for it. See for yourself what can happen when CSS
specifies Helvetica on Linux:
http://mrmazda.no-ip.com/SS/Fnt/font-helvetica-linux-072.png
http://mrmazda.no-ip.com/SS/Fnt/font-helvetica-linux-096.png
http://mrmazda.no-ip.com/SS/Fnt/font-helvetica-linux-120.png
http://mrmazda.no-ip.com/SS/Fnt/font-helvetica-linux-144.png
http://mrmazda.no-ip.com/SS/Fnt/font-helvetica-linuxmdv2005-096.png

All the above were shot on SUSE a couple years ago, but results were
essentially the same on other distros, including Fedora and Mandriva.

I fully stand by every bit of what I wrote about Helvetica on Linux upthread
and on http://mrmazda.no-ip.com/auth/Font/font-helvetica.html#bitmap .
--
"For God so loved the world that he gave his one
and only Son, that whoever believes in him shall

 Team OS/2 ** Reg. Linux User #211409