Alan Gresley wrote:

> Very true Georg. For a developer wanting to develop for IE6 when
> using conditional comments they must have original standalone
> versions of IE6, IE7 and IE8b1 to test with.
>
> [...] Since other people are not me and don't have access to my head,
>  standalone versions are a must. :-)

To sum it up: any strategy may work for the one who creates it, but not
necessarily for others.
It's the same as that I have all developer-tools for Firefox, but
never use them because they introduce debugging-limitations I'm not
willing to accept. They work well for others though.
So, having working strategies is fine, but one can not expect others to
use or follow the same ones, or even understand them.

>> Regarding the original case: it already had those 'hasLayout' fixes
>>  - in double dose with 'float: left; width: 100%;'. One of those
>> was of course enough.
>

> I have updated my fix accordingly.

> <http://css-class.com/x/tellura/>

Coming through just fine.

> [...]

> I would think it the first one since #leftfauxcol contains
> #rightfauxcol. Is this correct?

Doesn't really matter, as it is just adding fat on top of butter :-)
I prefer using only 'width: value' when I can, as (outside a conditional
comment) that wouldn't upset old IE/Mac (if supported). Means I won't
have to hack these rules between IE/win and IE/Mac.

> I tried the 8bit png but I still saw the silver background so I
> changed it to a gif.

Don't know why that happened, as IE6 treats static 8bit png same as 8bit
gif.

> As a general reminder please understand that there is two ways to
> debug a page either being the quick way or the long way.

...or "the other" (usually very quick) way :-)

I always use Opera's "save as: 'HTML file with images'" option, and then
download 'CC' commented stylesheets for IE/win separately by copying
their names from the originals into Opera and save them in the prepared
sub-folder.
Opera arranges everything as a main file, with a sub-folder for images,
CSS, js etc., ready to be accessed by any browser and worked on by any
editing software. Thus, at this stage working on any "alien file" is no
different from working on my own files locally.

The only thing Opera changes is file-names, as it is applying the old
8bytes + 3bytes naming-convention from DOS when downloading from the web.

More about how it works, and why Opera in general does a better and more
complete downloading-job than other browsers, is described here...
<http://www.howtocreate.co.uk/saving.html>

My own experience says Opera has a success-rate of better than 98% -
less than 2% of the downloads are not very usable right away, and this
is more than good enough for what I use it for.

regards
        Georg
--
http://www.gunlaug.no