From: Alan Gresley
To: Alan K Baker
Cc: css-d
Sent: Saturday, April 12, 2008 10:09 AM
Subject: Re: [css-d] Navigation bar

> There many billions of pages needing the same treatment. Please take a look
> at this screen shot.

Answered privately.

> Is this the fixed navigation where the lower parts are hidden outside the
> viewpoint. My screen is on 800px high. Is this navigation within frames?

No, it's apparent on any button that's clicked. They all behave in the same way.

> Remove the frames as it make it near impossible for anyone to help.

The frames will be removed, but the site is presented 'as-is' to allow you guys
to see the problem, not for you to attempt to retrieve code from it. That's why
I posted the relevant code in my message.

> OK, where do you mention that .oneline and .twolines is part of the
> navigation. Some on this list are good detectives since. We have to use our
> web developers toolbar [1] "outline current element" feature to locate these
> classes.

It's mentioned in the line "I've included the appropriate part of the
stylesheet and the HTML below, to save you wading through the dreaded frames
maze. At present my text is centered by [ .oneline a ] and [ .twolines a ]
(below).", which you've edited out. :-)

> > I've probably missed something obvious!!

> Yes. When I check you source code all I see is.

>   <frameset>
>   <frame>
>   <frame>
>   <base>
>   </frameset>

>   <noframes>

>   >If you are reading this text, your browser is frames challenged.
> More up to date browsers are readily available.
>   </noframes>

> The good browsers are not framed challenged. They just don't use MS propriety
> garbage code.

'Fraid I disagree. Frames have been around for a long time, along with all
their faults. None of today's reasonably up-to-date browsers has a problem with
the site as it is/was.
M$ "proprietary code" is here to stay and the greater majority of browser
public are using it, unfortunately for us, especially in the case of browsers
below IE7, which itself is far from perfect.
Not to labor a point, as we're getting off topic, but the frames will be
removed soon and the problem will cease to exist. :-)

> So you have to make it easy. :-)

> Sometimes it is easier just to have un-style text to begin with.

The only way I could make it any easier (as you say) is to remove the frames,
but really this is totally unnecessary. I've already posted the relevant code
in my message, for inspection. There's nothing 'hidden' on the live site that
would affect it. I dumped the site to a test area, merely as an illustration
for this forum, so that the effects can be seen.

Hell, being a USA originated forum, I even spelled my message in 'American' and
ignored the protests of my UK spell-checker. <grin>