Melbeach wrote:

> http://matthewjamestaylor.com/blog/ultimate-2-column-left-menu-ems.htm.
>  You can save this page's source and open it in Notepad.

I prefer to save it "complete" in Opera and open it for modifications in
a full-blown web editor, but that's another matter.

> Delete the top line: <?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8"?>

> When I do this, the right-column completely covers up the
> left-column. Actually, the same thing will happen in Firefox if I
> convert this layout to an html version and delete the declaration in
>  question.

Change the conditional comment so it reads...

     <!--[if lt IE 6]>
     .col1 {
            width:100%;
        }
     <![endif]-->

...or leave it out completely, and IE6 will do fine until the window is
made too narrow. That style is needed for quirks mode only, so keep it
(with modified version-targeting as seen above) if you want to support
older IE/win-versions.

You should also change the meta...

charset=utf-8" />

...so it reads...

...as what's there now makes no sense.
IE/win (any version) doesn't support "application/xhtml+xml" anyway, and
all browsers ignore that meta and look at what the page is served as -
"text/html".

regards
        Georg
--