Hi Bill,

> To add to what Bruno has already put forward, you might also consider
> taking another look at your code. It's incredibly difficult to fix a CSS
> problem with invalid code. You've written your code in XHTML
> Transitional, which is more for migrating old sites and documents than
> for the creation of new ones. It almost implies that you can't be
> bothered to follow all the specs, which I know is not the case.

It's now XHTML strict.

> I tested both your website and the simplified code on:
>  - Firefox 3/Ubuntu Hardy
>  - Konqueror 4.0.5/Ubuntu Hardy
>  - Safari 3.1.1/Vista (Hardly)
>
> The behavior in the test case is not the same as it is on your website -
> the float shrinks correctly in the test case for all browsers tested.

Odd, because it doesn't behave as I wish under Safari/Mac.  Or,
apparantly, FF3, and that's really annoying.

> I'll have another look at it if you like after you've fixed the
> validation errors. Your CSS seems quite complicated for a simple (though
> nice) layout, so I'm also not sure what else you've got going on in there.

Thanks for your offer.  I've now fixed the validation errors.

Most of the complexity comes from the fact that I'm trying to center
the gallery whilst resting fluid.  I'm using the technique of placing
the contents in a div positioned at 50% and then using an inner div to
shift back buy half its own width.

Of course, this is all pointless in safari since the inner div is
taking up all the width for the reasons explained by Bruno.

Surely there's a solution?

Tim