On Wed, Jun 11, 2008 at 3:01 PM, Timothy Armes wrote:

> Is there no one that can help me on this issue?
>
> > I'm struggling with a Safari float shrinking problem and I'm
> > desperately seeking a solution.  I've spent days on the issue now.
> >
> > http://www.timothyarmes.com/gallery.php?lang=en-gb&sec=personal

In your page the "shrinking" container has two roles:
- maintaining a sort of fluid centering of the images
- providing the white border around them

I really believe the best way is to simplify and abandon the above
requirements (like in David's example.)

Anyway I played a little, and in Safari and Firefox 3  one can
probably get those effects using inline-blocks... See this
http://brunildo.org/test/test/armesgallery.html   I copied your html,
added some styles and some divs (all the rest: CSS, images, ...) is
still from your site.  This seems to "cure" Safari 3.1 and Firefox 3.
But breaks Fx2 (no support for inline-blocks) and IE: adjusting the
latter is possible, but for the former is going to be complicated. And
the result is going to be too fragile... The idea to "fake" a sort
extra-shrinking container is demonstrated here [1].
So, unless someone has a better idea, I would say again that's better
to go for something simpler.

Best regards,
Bruno

[1] http://brunildo.org/test/test/shrinkwrap7.html