French, Angela K (MHTG) wrote:
> This doesn't seem to make symantic sense to me.  Would thisi be
> confusing to those using assistive technologies?

Hi Angela.

Sharon acknowledged (portion of original email included below) that this
is not semantic (or necessary) and I imagine that it would indeed create
issues for assistive technologies.

> I have a mandate to add a simple <h2> inside the dt of a definitions
> list. The task seemed so innocent!
[snip]
> fine. I didn't think it was necessary to add an h2 inside of a element
> that's already supposed to be a header of sorts, but the higher ups have
> their reasons.

Sharon was reacting to a request from a manager. In a perfect world, we
web developers would be afforded more respect and Sharon's managers
would have yielded to her advice on the semantic issues. Unfortunately,
we live in a world filled with naive bosses and clients who are
hell-bent on having their websites set in 12 pixel Times New Roman font.
It's not perfect, but it's what we got and if we want a paycheck in
addition to creating awesome websites, sometimes we have to do what we
have to do.

I applaud your crusade for supporting assistive technologies and
semantic coding and I encourage you to continue.

Thanks for writing.
--Bill

--
/**