On Jan 31, 2009, at 12:33 PM, Jim Albert wrote:

> http://www6.netrition.com/scroll_table_within_table.html
> Here I've placed that same scrolling table within a cell of an outer
> table. Notice that no scrolling appears. This behavior occurs in
> Firefox, IE and Safari. Only in Opera do I see the rendering that I
> would like. Opera sees that that middle cell of images is within a
> scrolling area and does not render the table with enough room for
> all the images.
>
> What I think is happening is that Firefox, IE and Safari are first
> determining table size based on the contents and determines it needs
> a lot of width to display all those images. It then assigns 100% of
> that very wide 2nd cell which is the table of images for scrolling.
> But since enough space was rendered to display all the images, no
> scrolling is necessary.

That is the expected behaviour actually, given what css2.1 has to say
on tables with 'table-layout:auto;' applied (the default behaviour).

> I tried assigning widths to the 1st and 3rd outer cells. However,
> that has no affect, the table is still rendered large enough to
> display all the images at once. I don't want to assign widths, anyway.

If you insist on using a table for the outer layout, you'll have to
assign a width to those two cells (you can set it to be a percentage
width, though).
Then, to insure control over that scrolling object, you have to set
the (outer) table to table-layout:fixed and give it a width (e.g.
100%;).

Philippe
---
Philippe Wittenbergh