Philippe Wittenbergh wrote:
> On Jan 31, 2009, at 12:33 PM, Jim Albert wrote:
>
>> http://www6.netrition.com/scroll_table_within_table.html
>> Here I've placed that same scrolling table within a cell of an outer
>> table. Notice that no scrolling appears. This behavior occurs in
>> Firefox, IE and Safari. Only in Opera do I see the rendering that I
>> would like. Opera sees that that middle cell of images is within a
>> scrolling area and does not render the table with enough room for
>> all the images.
>>
>> What I think is happening is that Firefox, IE and Safari are first
>> determining table size based on the contents and determines it needs
>> a lot of width to display all those images. It then assigns 100% of
>> that very wide 2nd cell which is the table of images for scrolling.
>> But since enough space was rendered to display all the images, no
>> scrolling is necessary.
>
> That is the expected behaviour actually, given what css2.1 has to say
> on tables with 'table-layout:auto;' applied (the default behaviour).
>
>> I tried assigning widths to the 1st and 3rd outer cells. However,
>> that has no affect, the table is still rendered large enough to
>> display all the images at once. I don't want to assign widths, anyway.
>
> If you insist on using a table for the outer layout, you'll have to
> assign a width to those two cells (you can set it to be a percentage
> width, though).
> Then, to insure control over that scrolling object, you have to set
> the (outer) table to table-layout:fixed and give it a width (e.g.
> 100%;).

Yes... I was able to follow your suggestion and produce a workable
example at:
http://www6.netrition.com/scroll_table_within_table_fixed_layout.html

It does do what I asked for and I thank you for your suggestion, but
I'll admit I don't care for table-layout:fixed rendering. Depending on
the content, there can be considerable occlusion when you start working
in large images and nested tables. If the visitor has a large font set
on a low resolution display, the result could be a pretty quick exit
from that visitor.

So... I suppose I don't insist on using an outer table.
What would you suggest in terms of my most recent example at:
http://www6.netrition.com/scroll_table_within_table_fixed_layout.html
to remove the use of the outer table, but maintain 3 columns?

Thank you for all your advice.

--
Jim Albert