Gene Falck wrote:
> You wrote:
>> Why do you use a span with a class when you already
>> have the html tags for them? Can't you just tell the
>> <sup> and <sub> tags to look the way you wish with
>> css instead of making new classes? They are already
>> there, and they seem more semantic (maybe not, kinda
>> like <b> and <i>, I guess ). Is there something I'm
>> missing?
> At the time I set things up with span and class I was
> disgusted with trying to use the sup and sub tags. No
> matter what I tried, the html tags persisted in giving
> me increased line heights so that my text which had
> some lines without superscripts or subscripts and some
> with looked pretty weird. Perhaps there is a good way
> to tame the tags but I didn't find it; once I wrote
> the sp and sb classed into my style sheet they worked
> quite nicely and I never looked back.

Actually, the argument can be and *has been* made that <sup> and <sub>
mix presentation with style in much the same way as the aforementioned
<b> and <i> pair (and others).

I go back and forth on this one. I don't work very frequently with
mathematics, but I do know there is quite a bit of difference between 10
to the 5th power (10^5) and 105. While <sup> and <sub> are given default
styles by browsers, they *do* also have a contextual meaning not
conveyed by a span tag. On the other hand, I can see how they could be
problematic to style attractively.

Just thought that for once I'd toss out some ambivalence instead of
stirring up another CSS Overlords thread. ;-)

--
<!--
  ! Bill Brown <macnim...@gmail.com>