Far from being a waste of time, I think your answer zoomed in (excuse the pun)
on the key thing, Theophan, so thank-you!   I hadn't even thought of a 'zoom'
feature on my friend's machine.

However, I've subsequently had my friend check her Firefox 3.0.8 zoom, and she
said:

"I reset to 0 and the website fills my entire screen.  If I zoom out it
gradually decreases until I guess you get to the page size you intended.
So it seems it is automatically set to maximum magnification."

No amount of googling "Firefox Zoom default" brought any description of any way
of automatically setting FF to always zoom, so I'm wondered if it could be her
computer -- a Mac OS X 10.5.6 with Leopard.  However, although I found info on
a zoom feature for that computer, it didn't mention any feature that would
automatically zoom everything, all the time.

Any idea what could be doing this?

Many thanks!

Michael