Hi, Georg, and thanks for this detailed reply!

> your page is full of markup errors...
Thanks for bringing these to my attention -- I'll look into all of them when
some time becomes available.
Related questions:   why, if using an <li> without an ordered or unordered list
is not allowed, does it work on my site?   What are the negative consequences
of using it that way?

>background is positioned 50% from the left side - regardless of window size.
Yes -- I used the 'negative margins' technique to (sort of) center the whole
thing ('sort of', because I didn't want it symmetrically centered). But while I
understand how my background's width causes the horizontal scrollbar, how does
the "left: 50%;" affect either the scrollbar or my friend's 'zooming' of all
elements?

>what Fx version did you test in and what settings were at play?
FF 3.0.8, on a Mac OSX 10.5.6.  I'm pretty sure the whole thing was 'zoomed',
but my friend says that she has to negatively zoom in order to obtain my page's
intended size!  All I can imagine is that my friend has some kind of 'automatic
zoom' set up -- either on her computer, or in FF -- but, so far, I haven't been
able to discover such a feature, in any of the online literature.  I'm baffled!

>Individual elements hold their declared width, but the page as such needs
>1650px wide windows to get rid of the horizontal scrollbar
Yes, I'm assuming that's because of the wide #background div I've used.  As I
wrote to Phillipe, I added that div because I felt the design looked pretty
weak without it, when viewed on wider screens/windows.  Aside from using a
fluid design, is there any way I could have it both ways?

>The declared dimensions on paragraphs and parent-less list-items are creating
>problems...
This sounds serious, but:
><http://www.gunlaug.no/tos/alien/ml/test_09_0410.html>
. . . For some reason, I keep getting a "not found" error message when trying
to go to that URL.

>...and extra horizontal width all browsers have to cope with. Why not let
>those elements auto-adjust to their containers?
Ah -- as in the following? :
>FWIW: it looks like you're attempting to recreate print design on the web, and
>that rarely ever works well.
I know.  The problem, though, was that I needed to get the site up immediately
-- it's the second site I've ever done, and I'm very slow at this kind of
thing.  With all its flaws, my only previous experience was  with a print-style
design.    I keep telling myself that I'll try to learn these things for my
next site, but, given that I'm still in the dark with a lot of what I've
already learned, even that may turn out to be too ambitious.

Thanks for your help, Georg!
All the best,
Michael