On Fri, Jun 05, 2009 at 12:05:35AM -0700, Glow wrote:
> I normally work with fixed layouts because I find that I have more
> control over the ultimate appearance of the design.  But lately I'm
> becoming more interested in fluid or elastic layouts because of their
> greater accessibility.
>
> So, just out of curiosity -- what's your particular preference and why?

I'm not sure what distinction you make between "fluid" and "elastic", so
I'll just answer "anything but fixed".  Screens are getting both larger
and smaller these days, so any fixed width you may choose will either be
a narrow strip down a widescreen HD display, a morass of horizontal
scrolling on a handheld device, or (more likely) both.

Also keep in mind that HTML/CSS presentation is ultimately decided by
the browser - the user can disable CSS, apply cusom stylesheets to
override your CSS, use a screen reader, etc. - so any "control over the
ultimate appearance" that a fixed width may provide is little more than
an illusion anyhow.

--
Dave Sherohman