Felix Miata wrote:
[...]
> The reason why IE does what it does, like other non-Gecko Linux browsers
> other than Opera, is that its preference sizing is done in pt rather than px.
> It is because 12pt equals 16px at (the Windows default of) 96 DPI that medium
> happens to be 16px on most Windows systems. Increase Windows system DPI to
> the next increment of 120, and the conversion of 12pt shifts to 20px, the
> next, 144 DPI, to 24px, and the last, 192 DPI, to 32px. Medium is always
> 12pt, but the px size of 12pt depends on the DPI setting applied to the
> desktop. Even 72 DPI, for a 1 to 1 12px to 12pt ratio, is possible (but not
> recommended) on Windows. O_O

Hello Felix,

Very interesting discussion in which I am learning much. What you say
above got me thinking and I have decided to do a test case.

<http://css-class.com/test/css/box/pixels-points-dpi.htm>

This is what I note:

1. The 96px and 72pt boxes are the same size with a 96 DPI setting for
the monitor.

2. The 100px and 75pt boxes are the same size with a 96 DPI setting on a
  monitor but also they are exactly 1 inch (using a ruler) in height and
width.

3. When the DPI setting is changed to 120 DPI, the boxes using pts
become 125% of their size at 96 DPI.

4. The boxes using pixels are the same size and the box of 100px at
either 96 or 120 DPI still equals exactly 1 inch (using a ruler) in
height and width.

On the same test case are screenshots using both 96 DPI and 120 DPI.

My question to you is why  a box of 100px equals a inch measured by a
ruler and not what I expected 96px?

BTW, I thought the higher DPI setting would make the text smaller. I now
discover the reverse is true where the text and chrome of the browser is
larger.

--
Alan http://css-class.com/