How is it inefficient to add html {height: 100.1%} to your CSS, which
immediately applies this to all pages without so much as a how-do-you-do (since
you are using an external style sheet)? To me, if you like the aesthetics of
not having the nav jump back and forth horizontally, it seems like the *most*
efficient way of doing it. Either the scrollbar is there, or it's not. If you
are centering your page, you are going to have the problem. You don't notice
the scroll bar over there on the side unless the height of the content makes
scrolling necessary. Otherwise, you don't pay attention to it.

Now you could spend hours (since you are a professed n00b) trying to absolutely
position the nav, and take the chance it may not work in all browsers, or you
apply the extra .1% of height to the html tag in your CSS, get a scrollbar on
every page, and be done with it.

Either that, or don't try to center the page in the browser window. Let it be
flush left. Then it's a non-issue.

Again, I got this fix from someone on this list. I've used it ever since. Works
great. Takes two seconds to apply. Totally efficient.

Theresa