On 01/05/2011 01:01 PM, Barney Carroll wrote:
Hiya Gabriele,

Your article confused me massively, and I found it incredibly difficult to
work out what you were trying to present. Based on your concluding line:

Even though this model differs greatly from the original OOP one, it's worth
mentioning that its further applications are incredibly useful.

…What are you referring to as 'this model'? What's the difference? What is
'the original OOP one'? What 'incredibly useful' 'further applications' are
there?
This model would be Model (HTML), View (CSS), Controller (Javascript). The original OOP one is where you have a Model of your logic and data structures/entities; a View that delegates the appearance and presentation settings; and a Controller that appropriately builds the correct data, executes the necessary logic, and renders the presentation features. The point of MVC in an OOP format is that you encapsulate your concerns. With the View separate from the Controller, your controller only needs to say something like View.renderThePage() to know that it will display the page. The View then can determine what the rendering actually looks like, and any changes here won't require refactoring of the Controller. A similar case applies for changes in the logic or data between the Model and the Controller. The Controller only needs to say Model.computeTaxes() and not care about how the calculations are done. Finally, the separation between the View and Model is important too for similar reasons.

<troll>
At the risk of sounding rude, I think it's harmful (especially to
impressionable list members who've signed up to learn about CSS — but
actually for anyone who is signed up for the purpose of offering or
receiving help on a specific subject) when somebody assumes an air of
authority and conflates application development methodologies with scripting
language namespacing formats; front-end web languages; and basic DOM
manipulations. There are some very serious, inexplicably bizarre,
misinformed connections going on there, and it's possible the only reason
they're not outright lies is because there are no clear ideas or facts in
your article. If you have any questions about any of these, there are plenty
of experts on this list to help out — was this in response to a question
(even one of your own, perhaps) or problem that you've faced recently?
</troll>

Regards,
Barney Carroll

barney.carr...@gmail.com
07594 506 381

I do agree with you though, that I have a hard time relating that OOP model of MVC to the one mentioned in the blog post other than as a passing resemblance. The relationships between HTML, CSS, Javascript, and the Browser are not encapsulated like the OOP MVC, so to me that would not qualify it as an MVC model as it leaves out the main purpose of MVC. If it were true MVC, someone shouldn't be able to alter the appearance/view from Javascript/controller, and so on.

In my opinion,
Rich