Regarding the col element, the theory was that you would-be able to use it as a
shorthand for all cells within it, thus defining colours, typography etc by
implicit table structure rather than chucking class names on all cells, using
adjacency selectors, or somesuch.

In practice, browser support is — even now — terrible.

Regards,

Barney Carroll
(+44) 742 9177 278