On Sep 28, 2011, at 3:57 PM, Barney Carroll wrote:

> Regarding the col element, the theory was that you would-be able to use it as
> a shorthand for all cells within it, thus defining colours, typography etc by
> implicit table structure rather than chucking class names on all cells, using
> adjacency selectors, or somesuch.

In HTML 4, the <col> element was – unfortunately – specified without much
thought, analysis etc. Esp in the light of how HTML tables are structured and
constructed. As a result many of its attributes (per html4) are unusable and
not duplicatable in terms of css.

CSS 2.1 only allows a very limited subset of properties that apply to the <col>
element.
http://www.w3.org/TR/CSS21/tables.html#columns

> In practice, browser support is — even now — terrible.
Hmm - I might have missed something. Current crop of browser have a fairly
decent support for those properties that apply to this element.

On Sep 28, 2011, at 10:55 AM, Tom Livingston wrote:

> For the <col> element, it seems that besides passing the validator,
> it's kinda the same as setting widths on <th>s or <td>s, no? Adding a
> "row" of <col>s - extra markup -  just to set widths. What am I
> missing?

Dunno, it won't help please the validator if you use the 'width' attribute,
using a class will work however. I prefer to have that row of cols at hand for
styling purposes (part. width) - imagine you style your first row of cells and
apply the width only to that first row, but then remove that first row, without
transferring the styling to another row…
It fits well in my workflow. YMMV.

> As for the long percentage amount, I was merely following steps from
> Ethan Marcotte's book for creating a flexible layout. Who am I to
> argue with him? It was copy/paste from a calculator. Seems a bit nerdy
> maybe, but it causes no harm.

As I said: De gustibus et coloribus…
as a personal preference, I'd only specifiy a width for the 1st table-cell, let
the others adjust based on content and available space.

Philippe
--
Philippe Wittenbergh
http://l-c-n.com/