I'm giving up on this topic.
After reading the specs numerous times, I'm realizing that the specs themselves
are circular.  I feel like I'm trying to find out if the chicken or the egg
came first.

On ems and exes:
http://www.w3.org/TR/2011/REC-CSS2-20110607/syndata.html#length-units :" em:
the 'font-size' of the relevant font. It may be used for vertical or horizontal
measurement. (This unit is also sometimes called the quad-width in typographic
texts.)"
"ex: the 'x-height' of the relevant font"
"If reliable font metrics are not available, UAs may determine the x-height
from the height of a lowercase glyph. "

On font-size:
http://www.w3.org/TR/2011/REC-CSS2-20110607/fonts.html#propdef-font-size: On
all other properties, 'em' and 'ex' length values refer to the computed font
size of the current element.

em = font-size = em = font-size = em = font-size === paceaux wants to finger
paint
</email>
<signature id="paceaux">
   @paceaux