Philippe,

>(under example 25 for the width MQ – it applies equally to the REM unit)

Sure, that makes sense as long as a font-size has been set for the root element.
If there is no font-size set on the root element  I'm not absolutely sure what
would be used but based on my testing of the REM  unit and UA default font-size
my assumption is that the UA's default font-size value would be used. I need to
look into that.

> Bottom line, if you go with relative units, go all the way.

Well, that's one way to look at it, but you'll find many pages in the wild that
use a mix of fixed and relative units... it most often works however.

Eric