On 5/9/2015 4:37 PM, Erik Visser wrote:
Al Sparber schreef op 09-05-15 om 18:30:
On 5/9/2015 7:25 AM, Erik Visser wrote:
Bootstrap (getbootstrap.com) was brought to my attention.

Is this a good bas/general approach?
What are your thoughts on and experiences with bootstrap.

Or is there another / better / simpeler / leaner / cleaner approach ?

In my opinion--yes. CSS is very logical and easy to learn. Learn CSS
and your site(s) will be far more efficient, and future-proof.

Hi Al,

Thanks for your thoughts. Can you explain what are the specific cons of
using bootstrap?

It's good for folks who do not understand CSS to the point of being able to create media queries. For anyone else, it is overkill (in my opinion).

It has been a while since i was working on a regular basis on websites.
But I'am quite familiar with css and html/php/and more.

If you understand CSS, then all you need to create a responsive site is understand media queries. It is a series of actions/counteractions, at one or more breakpoints.

You also need to research and get your head around the differences between responsive and mobile-friendly sites. It is not a one-to-one relationship.

Point is that at this stage i don't have an overview of which items need
to be taken care of when developing "a responsive website". Were  "a
responsive website" stands for: a website that fits "all viewport sizes".
Where "all viewport sizes" might be best defined as "all major/most used
viewport sizes". From smaller mobile devices to bigger screens.

Bootstrap tries to cover all viewport sizes, which is one reason why I consider it overkill. You need to understand the difference between a fixed viewport and a viewport whose width is chiefly determined by a web designer playing with window size to see what cute things happen as the window is made narrower or wider.

I guess that issues that need to be taken care of contain: menu
positions and menu-types, viewport size, rearranging text and lay-out,
resizing (background) images, ...(more)...?
All these issues depend on and/or are related to actual viewport-size of
the screen that is used.

Modern menus, whether automated tools such as ours, or copy/paste jQuery widgets, are responsive by nature. That is, give them a breakpoint and they will alter how they render to make them usable on phones.

--
Al Sparber - PVII
http://www.projectseven.com