-Caveat Lector-

William Hugh Tunstall wrote:

>  -Caveat Lector-
>
> I'm all for your right to own an elephant, Hawk.
> Go for it.
>
> However, I think your argument that private owners make better
> caretakers because they are interested in protecting their investment
> might be a little weak.

I don't think its weak at all... Most people don't take care of "other peoples' stuff"
as well
as they care for their own... I'll bet you use more generous portions of toilet paper
in a motel
than you do when you're directly paying for it.  Ever heard the old saying, "I'll beat
you like
a government mule"???  The basis for that little phrase is that people just don't take
care of
government stuff as well as they do their own.  There are a zillion examples to
support  it.

> It resembles the arguments used by white slaveowners during the Abolitionist
>debates...  "We
> love our slaves...after all, they're investments..  We have to take care of them or
>they lose
> their value.."

It was, I might add, a valid argument.  I've done a bit of research in that aspect of
economics
and history.  For your information, the typical Negro slave received back, over the
period of
his life, about 90% of the wealth he produced... He had a longer life expectency than
white
Europeans of the time, and was better off in practically every measurable aspect of
economic
life and physical health than was any  "peasant class" worker in the world
(specifically factory
workers in the industrial north and Europe).

Hawk