-Caveat Lector-

In a message dated 1/10/99 9:20:22 AM Eastern Standard Time, [EMAIL PROTECTED]
writes:

> itnesses, etc.
>  My problem is with the mentality that pervades all of this and that is that
>  this is about sex (you and I both know that is not the issue here but Joe
> Blow
>  apparently thinks it is) and the possibility that this will turn into more
>  laws infringing upon my freedom to do what I want without people peering
> into
>  every area of my life.  That is the main problem I have with it all.

It's all about marketing. Marketing. Marketing. Marketing. It was marketed as
sex. Everything is marketed. Government is marketed. New laws imfringing upon
our freedoms are marketed. The marketing is general Hegelian.   Interestingly,
this applies to getting Clinton on a sex rap (yes, it's perjury and
obstruction, but marketed as sex) when they really wanted to get him on things
that were too hot for them to touch (besides the fact that he covered his ass
pretty well - shredded, bribed, blackmailed, killed, etc.). The interesting
thing is... the sad thing is... that it might have backfired. All things
considered, I was willing the go along with the "Capone Prosecution,"
eventhough I felt as you do - it should have been done right. But now,
backfired or not, it's turned awfully ugly. Here's the origingal
miscalculation: Going after a man with NO character in the same way you would
go after a man WITH character. They just didn't know what they were bargaining
for.

Jim