-Caveat Lector-

Thanks RoadsEnd for the info.  I still think that there is a fairly
significant amount of hooey in some of it, but I have to admit that much
of it is fairly well documented.  I'm not sure I buy a 'Luciferian'
angle to it though.  I'm also not sure that 'getting in early, sizing it
up and spending lots of money' qualifies as a 'conspiracy' per se.
Seems like good business sense.  Look at Microsoft.  One question for
you is this..  Does the fact that an organization was once a
manipulative organizational 'conspiracy' (such as the Masons seem to
have been, as well as Skull and Bones) mean that they will always be a
secret 'conspiracy' organization?  Organizations, being made up of
people, tend to evolve over time, and I feel that it is quite possible
that over generations that information, power and control can be lost.
How do you know that this has not happened?  How do you know that groups
like the Illuminati or the Priory of Sion or the Templars have a
continuous history?  Is it possible that the names have remained the
same but everything else has changed?  That is almost certainly what has
happened with the Rosicrucians (unless the AMORC is one heck of a lot
sneakier than they look).  Why not the Masons?  How can people know that
the goals of the 'conspiracies' have remained constant?  If they
haven't, then we are back to my original premise.. that we have small
groups of people working, perhaps within an established system, in their
own 'enlightened' self interest.  The system (such as the 'good ol' boys
club) may remain the same, but its goals and players change.  This does
not seem like the kind of conspiracy we are looking for, unless we are
willing to label the democratic and republican parties conspiracies.
The system may be wrong, putting too much power into people's hands, but
that does not make it a conspiracy, just a flawed system.

Once again, thanks for the info.  I appreciate your patience and the
understanding tone of your  reply.