-Caveat Lector-

>> The "right thing to do"?  Please explain how invading and occupying a
>> sovereign nation while knowing full well that said nation posed
absolutely
>> no threat to any other nation; simultaneously alienating our allies
and
>> further infuriating our enemies, resulting in *increased* likelihood
of
>> terrorist acts; using highly toxic weaponry that endangers the long
term
>> health of our own soldiers and contaminates the occupied land;
causing the
>> deaths within the first year of tens of thousands of Iraqi civilians
and
>> almost 600 (and growing) of our own troops; all on premises that were
>> outright lies the "right thing to do"?

I will explain:

First, you are right. Iraq was not a threat. The problem was that Iraq's
government was. The insinuation that Saddam Hussein was not a threat is
absurd. If Saddam Hussein was so non-threatening, the why did the UN
feel the need to pass 71 (http://www.casi.org.uk/info/scriraq.html)
resolutions to condemn and contain, and control him and his cronies,
including resolutions demanding that Saddam Hussein give up his WMD
programs?

Second, the very same US military personnel and Iraqi civilians you are
so eager to defend were already suffering. Yes, no US military personnel
died as a result of combat during the containment, however dozens of
them died preparing for and supporting that mission and dozens more died
as a result of terrorism directly linked to our presence there. And, it
was just a matter of time before there were combat deaths.  Never mind
the hardships endured by the personnel that were deployed over there for
six, twelve, even 24 months at a time supporting containment.

During that same period, tens of thousands of Iraqi civilians were
murdered by their own government at the rate of as many as 30,000 a year
conservatively. Tens of thousands more died as a direct result of the
UN's policy of containment.

My question is: how was our toppling of Saddam Hussein the wrong thing
to do?

>> And it was done while brazenly LYING to the American people in order
>> keep them sufficiently terrified to support this madness.  Yes,
George W.
>> Bush is a TERRORIST, as terror is exactly what he visits upon his own
>> subjects in order to keep them in line

My next question is: are you afraid? If so, why are you doing nothing
about it?

It strikes me as absurd that anyone would claim that Americans are
afraid or intimidated of anything. We have a well-established track
record of taking matters into our own hands when we think our government
is treating us wrongly from our own Revolution, to the Civil War, to the
Equal Rights movement. Modern times would be no acceptation.

And what terror? Where is it? What is it? How is it being done without a
nationalist outcry to end it?

Please back up your statements with facts.

>> I'm afraid history won't look very kindly on this sad chapter.  THIS,
my
>> friend, is an unending situation, and it's most certainly NOT better
[than
>> containment].  At least w/ containment/sanctions we weren't losing 2
>> American lives a day over there, we weren't hemorrhaging our own
economy to
>> fund it, we weren't pissing off the entirety of the rest of the world
>> (just, you know, *most* of it) and our bombs were killing far fewer
>> innocent Iraqi civilians.

History is a very fickle beast to be predicting what it will and will
not do. You will not look kindly on this chapter in our history, I am
sure, but we will no know history's take until it is written. Based upon
what I have read so far, the split is 50-50.

And how is this and unending situation? We've been in Iraq less than a
year. What makes that unending? Again, facts please.

>> Since Bush LIED us into
>> a war that only he and his buddies actually wanted, a rather strong
case
>> could be made that he deliberately misused our nation's military.
Last I
>> checked, that was a crime.  In fact, it's impeachable.

Then I must be buddies with the president as well as everyone I deployed
with, because we were all volunteers who went knowing the potential
before we went. In fact, about 3 million of us must be buddies with the
president because we do not see mass desertions from our military as a
result of our actions in Iraq. In fact, the president enjoys popular
support among the members of the US military.

As for deliberate misuse, how is our current president's use any better
or worse than any other presidents? Where you opposed to Bosnia and
Kosovo? Where you opposed to Somolia? If these actions are impeachable,
then practically every president we have ever had should be impeached
for misusing the military.

The bottom line is that protecting the interests of our nation is always
the right thing to do. That is why we have a nation as strong and as
free as the one we have now. And those of us who understand such things
will keep on protecting those interests as long as we can.

Dennis L Hitzeman

www.ctrl.org