-Caveat Lector-

SkeptiNews 990506a - - - - - - - - - - - All The News That's Fit To Question

: Passages starting with ':' are editorial comments to provoke discussion.
: Nothing contained herein is ever endorsed for truth, accuracy or meaning.
_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _

# Superfly: Researchers genetically design 'killer' fruit fly. (U-WIRE) UC
Santa Cruz -- A highly evolved "superfly" may impress the ladies, but its
sperm can be deadly to female fruit flies. By manipulating the evolution of
male and female fruit flies, a UCSC researcher showed some males developed
"killer sperm," highly capable of passing on the males' genes but toxic
enough to destroy their mates after reproduction. Rapidly-evolving genetic
strategies - see http://news.excite.com/news/uw/990505/university-odd-75

: Will misogynist gene-splicers design similar human sperm? Will partheno-
genesis be the only hope of human survival? Is this the ultimate STD? Why?
_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _

# US space rockets grounded. (BBC) All United States rockets capable of
launching large satellites are grounded as an investigation begins into a
series of launch failures. Latest launch to misfire was a Delta III - see
http://news.bbc.co.uk/hi/english/sci/tech/newsid_336000/336592.stm

* Also: 6 failed rocket launches in 9 months, see
  http://www.infobeat.com/stories/cgi/story.cgi?id=2559438328-7c4
* Launch failures have cost $3.5 bln - worst botches since Challenger:
  http://www.infobeat.com/stories/cgi/story.cgi?id=2559438284-5f3
> NEW BOEING ROCKET PLACES COMMERCIAL SATELLITE IN WRONG ORBIT:
  http://cnn.com/TECH/space/9905/05/delta.launch.02.ap/index.html
@ Links: Boeing: Delta Rockets:
  http://www.boeing.com/defense-space/space/delta/deltahome.htm
@ US Air Force: Space Command: http://www.spacecom.af.mil/hqafspc/

: Who's been blocking US access to space: Russia, Libya, Iraq, Reptilioids,
MicroSoft, The Artist Formerly Known As Prince? Is this a turf war? How?
_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _

@ THE SCIENCE OF ALIENS. What will aliens look like? An intelligent octopus-
like creature is certainly plausible. What about odd numbers of limbs - a 3-
legged alien with 3 arms and 3e eyes? How about a whole planet of immobile,
silicon-based "trees" that communicate with each other via electric signals?
The Science of Aliens gets weirder still. Could a giant interstellar cloud
be "alive" and intelligent? Could creatures live at extremely high pressures
and temperatures? And which of these many possibilities would be similar
enough to us that they could communicate with them, or they with us? Would
they have any interest in abducting us? Would they want to have sex with us?
@ The Science of Aliens: http://sprott.physics.wisc.edu/pickover/soa.htm

: If we can't get along with whales, dolphins, squids, or other humans, how
will we be treated by *real* aliens? Do you deserve to have sex with an ET?
_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _

# The Light That Cracks the Code. A computer scientist has designed a
light-based computer that could unscramble data to a degree well beyond that
typically used in e-commerce. "Twinkle," a yet-to-be-built crypto-cracking
machine: www.wired.com/news/news/email/tip/technology/story/19493.html

# Also: Israeli Scientist Reports Discovery of Advance in Code Breaking
  http://www.nytimes.com/library/tech/99/05/biztech/articles/02encr.html
@ 'Twinkle' paper: http://jya.com/twinkle.eps or http://jya.com/twinkle.zip

: What codes do you wanna break? Can/should/do you/anyone have any secrets?
Can 'Twinkle' crack alien codes too? How about generalized biological codes?
_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _

SansComment:

> INDIAN ELEPHANT DIES OF GRIEF. Damini, an elephant who starved herself to
death in a northern Indian zoo, spent the last 24 days weeping in her enclo-
sure, mourning her companion who had died giving birth, zoo officials said.
See http://cnn.com/NATURE/9905/05/grieving.elephant.ap/index.html
and http://www.infobeat.com/stories/cgi/story.cgi?id=2559438513-d81

# Body Parts Artist Says He Has No Regrets. LONDON (Reuters) British
sculptor Anthony-Noel Kelly, who served a jail sentence for stealing body
parts in the name of art, has said he has no regrets about his actions.
Art for art's sake: http://news.excite.com/news/r/990506/07/odd-body

*** Thai monk who treated addicts dies. BANGKOK, Thailand (AP) Phra Charun
Bhaanchan, a Buddhist monk who founded a temple to help Thai drug addicts
and then became a sanctuary for thousands of ethnic Hmong from neighboring
Laos, died of kidney failure. He was 73. His program using herbal remedies
to treat drug addicts was unique at the time, and one of the few ways Thais
addicted to drugs could receive treatment without criminal stigma. See
http://www.infobeat.com/stories/cgi/story.cgi?id=2559438381-0cd

# Jilted Lover Cuts Off Friend's Penis. KHULNA, Bangladesh (Reuters) A jil-
ted Bangladeshi man cut off a friend's penis after a woman they both loved
chose his friend instead. http://news.excite.com/news/r/990506/07/odd-penis
_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _

SkeptiLinks:

@ NASA Report Reveals Reptilian "Alien" Model: http://www.reptoids.com/
@ Shape-shifting reptoids: www.angelfire.com/co2/4research/images/hosted.jpg
@ A-albionic - ruling class/conspiracy research: http://a-albionic.com/

@ How Things Work (REALLY!!): http://howthingswork.virginia.edu/
@ Sending Meaning Across Epochs: http://www.sfsite.com/fsf/depts/sci07.htm
@ Solar activity and Solar flares: http://www.spaceweather.com/

# Confronting Nuclear Racism: http://www.mtn.org/pic/cnrreport.html
@ Case File: C.I.A. & Drugs - Cop v CIA: http://www.copvcia.com/
@ Operation Garden Plot: http://www.cafes.net/mo/Gardenplot.htm
# Chem contrails: http://www.cbjd.net/orbit/graphics/chemaircraft.html

@ 1999 SKEPTICS SOCIETY CALTECH CONFERENCE: WWW.SKEPTIC.COM
$ Unbeatable Deals On Xian Books [but what about us atheists?]:
  http://www.crossings.com/?src=017_02_d_07_015_0022
> ABORTION FOE TO BE CHARGED IN NEW YORK DOCTOR'S MURDER:
  http://cnn.com/US/9905/06/slepian.charge.01/index.html

@ Subliminal CIA: Spy scientists unleash the power of hidden persuasion:
  http://www.parascope.com/ds/articles/subliminalCIA.htm
# DOPING OUR KIDS - Prescription drugs at root of violence, says expert:
  www.worldnetdaily.com/bluesky_bresnahan/19990429_xex_doping_our_k.shtml
* Hard-core sex imagery linked with molestation, rape, violence against
  women. http://www.infobeat.com/stories/cgi/story.cgi?id=2559438488-d21

"The bullet that parted Wes's hair plucked Jake from his saddle as neatly
and as quietly as a spit of tobacco picks a fly off a well-oiled boot." -GB

* [EMAIL PROTECTED] * http://www.sonic.net/~ric * ICQ# 19633976 *
email INFO or SUBSCRIBE SKEPTICHAT to: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
SkeptiChat archives: http://www.sonic.net/~ric/sc/files.htm