-Caveat Lector-

SkeptiNews 990521b - - - - - - - - - - - All The News That's Fit To Question

: Passages starting with ':' are editorial comments to provoke discussion.
: Nothing contained herein is ever endorsed for truth, accuracy or meaning.
: No attorneys were hurt during production of this bulletin, unfortunately.

* SKEPTINEWS CONTRIBUTORS/EDITORS WANTED NOW * KEEP THIS BULLETIN COMING *
_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _

# Unmanned warfare may be on horizon. An old peacenik lament asked: What if
they gave a war and nobody came? The Pentagon is at work solving at least
half of that conundrum. The next war we're in we may not come. We'll send
the robots instead. http://deseretnews.com/dn/view/1,1249,100001938,00.html

: Would you rather wage war with humans, robots? Would you rather be killed
by humans, robots, demons, aliens? Can robots be trained to zap only robots?
_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _

# U.S. more vulnerable to disasters than ever. WASHINGTON (AP) Shortsighted
development policies have increased America's vulnerability to major natural
disasters rather than lessening it. "We are responsible for the losses in
future disasters. It is not God. It is not nature. WE make the decisions on
what to put in harm's way." Fundamental flaw in the way we try to solve the
problem of natural disasters. www.bergen.com/morenews/doom20199905206.htm

: Can you be protected from disaster? How? Do your self-protective efforts
leave you open to other bad shit? Can you ward off floods, fires, plagues,
quakes, economics, locusts, aliens, militias, cults, Techno-Goths, art, me?
_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _

*** Bangladesh woman flogged to death. DHAKA (AP) - A woman died after an
Islamic cleric ordered her buried to the waist in mud and flogged 101 times
with a bamboo cane for having premarital sex and inducing an abortion. See
http://www.infobeat.com/stories/cgi/story.cgi?id=2559620315-f7f

: Does your belief system promote execution of sexual miscreants? Would you
execute somebody who had good sex, bad sex, any sex? Do the voices in your
head tell you who to execute? Would you mind if God told me to kill you?
_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _

@ The real Y2K bug: Forget your computer - worry about the wacko down the
street. When the media amplifier is held by guys like Art Bell, be very
afraid. Apocalyptic mania - Eschatological terrorism - Millennial fraud -
Millennial echoes: www.salon1999.com/tech/feature/1999/05/18/real_y2k/

: Are some humans programmed to self-destruct? Are you? Who will you take
with you when you blow? Do you have a deadline? What's your doom calendar?
_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _

# CIH VIRUS ANTIDOTE AUTHOR DEFENDS PROGRAM. A 21-year-old Bangladeshi
student who invented an antidote for the CIH, or Chernobyl, virus has
declared that his software is safe, despite concern about the program
voiced by professional antivirus authors. Author says software is safe:
http://cnn.com/TECH/computing/9905/20/antidote.idg/index.html

: Have you written any virus programs lately, safe or unsafe? Have you set
them loose yet? Did the voices in your head tell you how? Would you rather
write virii, cut crop circles, get a new implant, consort with demons, sue?
_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _

*** House OKs land treaty restrictions. WASHINGTON (AP) Congress moved to
grab veto power over UN land designations, with supporters saying such int-
ernational actions threaten property rights of Americans. The bill, opposed
by the administration and with poor prospects in the Senate, would require
congressional consent before any federal land can be included in an inter-
national land reserve. It is aimed specifically at 2 UN programs - Biosphere
Reserves and World Heritage areas. Supporters say the Constitution gives
Congress alone the authority to manage federal lands, that decisions on land
use are "a responsibility of Congress, not some U.N. committee of unelected
bureaucrats." www.infobeat.com/stories/cgi/story.cgi?id=2559621127-851

: What international agencies would you like to give national land to? Would
you prefer to give land to foreigners, Zeta Reticulans, corporations, me? Is
there a Congressional plot to bulldoze biosphere reserves & heritage areas?
_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _

SkeptiShorts

# Bulletproof Email for the Masses. The privacy benefits of fully encrypted
email hover just out of reach of all but the techno-literate. But Hushmail
is out to change that. www.wired.com/news/news/technology/story/19804.html

@ Web Museum, Yes, But Is It Art? America's most reputable museums are
collecting and showcasing Web art online. Why isn't the Museum of Web Art
doing the same? http://www.wired.com/news/news/culture/story/19783.html
_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _

SkeptiLinks:

# Book discloses Clinton secrets - widespread concern in the intelligence
  community: www.infobeat.com/stories/cgi/story.cgi?id=2559620772-118
# Former Ku Klux Klan leader David Duke questioned about payment:
  http://www.infobeat.com/stories/cgi/story.cgi?id=2559622004-091

@ Trained to Kill - how today's media condition kids to pull the trigger:
  http://www.christianity.net/ct/8T9/8T9030.html
@ The Psychological Cost of Learning to Kill in War and Society:
  http://www.channel1.com/users/netnet/readme/grossman.html

# Somali-Canadian Community Under Attack by Khat Enforcers:
  http://www.drcnet.org/wol/091.html#somalis
# UP TO 700 PAKISTANIS MISSING AFTER CYCLONE, TIDAL WAVES - Villages
  disappeared: http://cnn.com/WORLD/asiapcf/9905/21/pakistan.cyclone/

@ TRANSTOPIA: the relatively sudden emergence of superintelligence:
  http://meltingpot.fortunecity.com//kuwait/557/index.html
@ The Hessian Page: http://www.netaxs.com/~gothic/Hessian.html

@ Astrology is bogus: http://skepdic.com/astrolgy.html
  http://www.bcpl.net/~wnidiffe/bamt/marshalies01.html
  http://www.bcpl.lib.md.us/~wnidiffe/bamt/astrolies/

"I despise you," Ravena said, her icy tone betrayed by her face contorted
with conflicting hurt, rage, and adoration; then she flung herself help-
lessly against his lean but well-muscled body, not even noticing his curly
chest hairs tickling her nose as her misery was sucked into an undertow by
a rising tide of passion. --Mary Anne Linden

* [EMAIL PROTECTED] * http://www.sonic.net/~ric * ICQ# 19633976 *
email INFO or SUBSCRIBE SKEPTICHAT to: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
SkeptiChat archives: http://www.sonic.net/~ric/sc/files.htm
* UFOs ETs Conspiracies ParaNormals Fringes Sciences PSIs Faiths *